June 20, 2012

In the Garden

A long time ago, in a place called Athens, Georgia, grew a lone holly bush. It stood proud and tall, but alone, surrounded by lawn. Once, a rat snake, like a long, tar-black rope slithered past. The next year a box turtle dug her nest and laid her never-to-hatch eggs beside the bush. Then one overcast morning I decided...the holly bush just didn't belong. It had to go.


It all became so clear to me, and all I needed was a chainsaw. We didn't have one, but I was pretty certain our neighbor would loan his. Luck was with me and soon I was holding that saw. He showed me how to start her up and throttle the enginea bit. Ready for action, I eyeballed the bush from the side, the front, and the back. I needed a plan of attack given how thorny the holly was.


Let me stop a moment here to tell you that I still have all my limbs and digits. I was successful in cutting down the bush, but confess I didn't actually see it happen. The problem was a safety issue. I knew that eye protection is very important when using a saw. The chance of a limb kicking back and shooting out my eye was a serious concern. Without protective goggles it seemed very risky to move forward with my holly bush demolition.


The solution was obvious. I knew just where to cut so I started the engine, got into position, looked carefully at the targeted cut, aimed, closed my eyes, and cut!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Friendly comments are welcome. I will try to respond too. And... "thanks for stopping by".